HURRICANES

CAROLINA HURRICANES: THINGS TO BE EXCITED ABOUT

This year’s edition of the Hurricanes are 13-11-7 and sit in 9th in the Eastern Conference. Currently, they are 8 points out a playoff spot. Over the last few years there have been a lot of negativity from the local media about Raleigh’s only major league team.  In fairness, the media has been slightly less negative this year, which is due to the on ice product finally delivering. However, we here at Raleigh City Sports believe the best way to make this city stronger is to back our teams! Below are a list of things to be excited about for the  rest of the season.

  1. 62.2% OF THE SEASON LEFT

The season is only 37.8% complete. Which by our math leaves 62.2 % of excitement left to play! People can’t contain themselves.

via GIPHY

2. IMPROVED SCORING

Canes are currently 16th in the league in scoring. While some might say this is just average, one has to look at the past to appreciate the present. The previous two seasons had Raleigh’s team finishing 27th out of 30 teams in scoring. Add in a bunch of new personnel, and a middle-of-the-pack rank (despite growing pains) looks pretty darn good.

  1. PENALTY KILL

The Canes are leading the league in the penalty kill. They are killing penalties at a 91.25% clip, which is almost 3% better than the next best team and 10% better than the league average.

4.  YOUTH IN LEADERSHIP
The team’s top four scorers are under the age of 25. The re-emergence of Jeff Skinner (26pts), continued development of Victor Rask (25 pts) and the addition of the Finish Duo of Sebastian Aho (16 pts)/Tuevo Teravinen (15pts) have got Caniac Nation excited!

  1. FUTURE IS BRIGHT

I did some hard hitting research with the help of great Hurricane Prospect coverage from @kleblanchockey and @CanesProspects (Must follow for any Canes Fan). The Hurricanes, for the first time since the move to NC, will have three drafted players on Team Canada’s World Junior Championship team. Yeah….that Canada.

The players Julien Gauthier (2016, 21st overall), Jake Bean (2016, 13th overall), and Nicolas Roy (2015, 96th overall) have showed promise in prospect camps and a strong showing here at the World Juniors could help make a case for a debut in Raleigh next year. Last year, Sebastian Aho blew up all Hurricanes fans’ Twitter feeds with his performance at the World Juniors. Here’s to that happening with this trio.

Now get on out to the PNC Arena on Friday night against Boston.